About

Alma Mater
On the city's northern border,
Reared against the sky,
Proudly stands our alma mater,
As the years to by.
Forward ever be our watchword,
Conquer and prevail,
Hail to the, our alma mater,
Ole LA, all hail.

History of Livingston Academy
Livingston Academy was established in 1909 by the Christian Women's Board of Missions of the Christian Church, and was the outgrowth of a plan and purpose of the Board to build and maintain a school for Christian influence in the Appalachian Mountain of Tennessee. The school was supported by the Board, and was under its immediate control until October 1920, when it became part of the work of the United Christian Missionary Society, which comprehends all missionary activities of the church.

As Overton County became and financially able to carry on the work of the school, the United Christian Missionary Society gradually withdrew its support. In 1947 the property was sold to Overton County for $45,000 and since that time, Livingston Academy has been maintained as a public county high school.

The second building was completed in 1925. It was enlarged twice. In 1952 three classrooms, the library and cafeteria were added at a cost of $40,000. In 1960 six classrooms, the principal's office, a faculty center and clinic were added at a cost of $275,000.  An Agriculture building was built 1949 with WPA labor. An addition to this building was made in 1949 at a cost of $3,400.  A new gymnasium was erected in 1949 at a cost of $472,250. This building was destroyed by fire in 1952. It was rebuilt the following year at a cost of $135,000.  The present building was dedicated on July 4, 1976, and was completed at a cost of $4 million. The building now provides a more functional environment for its present enrollment.

The most recent building program was completed in May of 2001, adding eight new classrooms and a science lab. Restrooms and a storage room were also added. This program also included the installation of air conditioning in the gymnasium.

Legend of Hog-Eye
During the late 1930's and early 40's, a number of students came to LA from a small community in northeast Overton County near Bethsalda or "Hogeye".

Many of these students played basketball. When these players were on the floor, students that had also gone to Bethsalda would yell for their former classmates. The would yell "Let's go Hogeye" in support of their team and also to show support for their community. The yell "Hogeye, Hogeye, T-N-T" stuck, and has carried on over the years.